On the Mountain Top

On the Mountain Top

Thursday, September 10, 2015

Run With Purpose

Last evening, as the sun sank low in the western sky and the temperature outside started to cool off, I headed out for a run. Everything went as planned, except that I was inspired to push hard and run the last mile as my fastest of the three I ran that evening. That can be tough, but I noticed something interesting that really helped me out: as long as I stayed completely focused on the task at hand, I ran strong and didn't falter. However, the second I let my concentration waver I slowed down.

It is easy to let your thoughts drift while running. I noticed how my shoe was feeling a bit loose, which reminded me that I had just retied it before running. Clearly it shouldn't be loose already. By the time I had processed all of that and then briefly wondered whether I should stop and retie, I noticed that my pace had dropped off considerably. As I picked the pace back up, I prayed for strength to finish strong. That is when God stepped in and let me know He was trying to teach me a lesson.

In life we often find ourselves drifting, sometimes to the point of losing our focus. However, God wants our worship. That is, He wants to be the Center of our world. If we allow ourselves to be distracted by the things of this world, then He cannot work in us and through us as powerfully as if we were fully committed. The choice is ours, but we cannot do this alone.

"For it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure" (Philippians 2:13, NKJV, emphasis added). Each and every day, I must invite Jesus into my heart and yield my will to His saving grace. This is what each and every Christian needs to do. We cannot fight in the conflict against evil alone.

Jesus said, "Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you" (Matthew 7:7, NKJV). We have the promises of God to give us the assurance that He hears our prayers and will answer them as long as we stay within the Father's will. By yielding our hearts and wills to God, we can strive to always stay within God's will.

Running the race of life with purpose will have some hiccups along the way. Just like my evening jog, things both large and small will come along to distract us from our purpose. Ultimately, that purpose as Christians is to prepare the world for His soon return. Are you ready? Are you encouraging others to be ready? Is your will one with His?

"Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God" (Hebrews 12:1-2, NKJV).

Jesus is both the author and finisher of our faith. We do not have to run alone. So get out there and run the race of life with purpose and endurance. Then we can each say, along with the great apostle Paul, "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing" (2 Timothy 4:7-8, NKJV).

No comments:

Post a Comment